Skip to main content

curious

Yesterday, as I was driving home from work, I was pondering breast cancer.  A co-worker of mine was very recently diagnosed, had surgery, and is looking great.

Thinking on this I wondered if breast cancer is on the rise, or is it simply more researched, recognized and diagnosed?  I would believe it was probably around in full force before technology made is so identifiable and curable - but that it wasn't so terribly fatal as all  that.  And if that is true, perhaps all the surgery, radiation and chemo aren't entirely necessary.

Now  - disclaimer - I know this research saves lives, I know it is beneficial, and to those women who were saved they probably are not concerned with whether or not there is over-diagnosis, because their life (and all survivors) is worth that. 
But what percentage would actually have had fatal results if not treated?  How many would have lived a healthy happy life if they never knew about it?

Interestingly enough, this afternoon on my lunch break, peeking out just near the fold of the newspaper, is an article titled "Study:  Some early diagnoses not a help"  - in reference to breast cancer.  What are the odds?
I read through this article, and low-and-behold they were discussing this very issue I had been pondering.  And lean towards that many cases are over-diagnosed/treated, that would have been unnecassary.

Curious....I will continue pondering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stranger Danger

Ok. So, we've talked to M about strangers a bit, telling her to be safe and what not. A couple of times she brings it up when we say no she can't do something and she says "because there are stangers?" or some such. We haven't talked about it recently, but apparently the message stuck: We were at Wal-Mart, had just finised checking out and J went to use the restroom and M wanted to get a drink from the water fountain -I was still a few steps behind, so M said "Mom will you come a little bit closer?" and I said yes, and she continued "because you wouldn't want a stranger to grab me." I smiled and said "No I wouldn't like that." And she said "You would say 'oh no! someone has taken my child!" At which point I couldn't help but laugh and tell her how much I loved her.

back to school

We had a great trip up to Idaho for a family reunion (J's side of the family) after a short camping trip with some of my family in Iowa (not family from Iowa, just where we met up). We've been pretty busy and summer has disappeared. It didn't help that I had summer classes,and only 3 weeks off. We got to do some rough scouting in Colorado, to see where we might likely live when we finally move. Quite a few good stories, but I split them up. When we were in Colorado Springs we decided to go to Seven Falls - where they told us the Mountain elevator is broken, so they will take $1 off our admissions. We agreed, not minding 185 steps....wait, what did J just agree to? So we went to climb said stairs, which were small, and steep and seemed to go on forever; about half way up - the first set of stairs - M gets tired of climbing (we saw this coming,and I didn't blame her, I was tired too!) so I take E from J and J picks up M (he's stronger after all). We push ourselves th...

Go Figure

So, my kids go to educare ( a daycare center by my school, that has discounted student rates - otherwise I in no fashion could imagine paying for). Not only do I get student rates, but I also qualify for a grant that covers most of the costs. However - there is always, at some point, going to be a however. First, I couldn't keep their spots for my fall semester, unless I had them enrolled for the summer, which I wouldn't qualify for the grant unless I was taking full time classes...so I enrolled for summer classes (which I did not want to do) and kept them in. Then I found out that the summer rate covered by the grant would be less, meaning I would have to pay more - almost making it so I couldn't afford it, but we cut corners in our budget to make it work. Now, today, M's teacher told us that they are increasing the regular rate, and decreasing the student discount because the old rate isn't covering costs. Now I really and truly can not afford it. The daily r...