Skip to main content

Today

Reading Justi's blog made me realize that my blog was stuck in autumn, and so I changed it. Not that this background is wintery, but it is not autumn. It is new and refreshing and that is all I needed.
We went swimming today at the Y and so far it has been quite the debacle to conclude. I have not yet mastered how to get both kids and myself showered and dressed, without E crawling all over the nasty floors. Justi has definately been the saving factor so far, but even that did not prevent E from leaving with moist clothes, me with wet pant legs, and all of us leaving with dripping hair. Sooner or later, we will get it down.
Also, to add to the list of things J can not make last (mainly being jeans- that, if we're lucky, will last 1 month) are his boots. He wears out everything in ridiculous ways. It wasn't too long ago that one pair of his sneakers tore along the sole; now his work boots came apart along the sole at the toe. He came home and showed me his gaping boot, looking like a shoe with a mouth. So, we bought him new boots. I insisted on not buying a cheap pair (because really, where would that get us but buying new ones in a month) So we bought him a pair that were on sale for $60 (which is not cheap for us) and then, when we checked out, they rang up as $40! Thank you, THank you Thank you. We did not have money for $60 boots. Worked out wonderfully. They are originally $80 at the store and $120 online. Good deal, if I do say so myself.

Comments

erin said…
You're so thrifty ;)

Goodluck with the swimming mess. If only you lived at my apartment you could leave the pool messy, barefoot, and still in your suit.

Popular posts from this blog

Stranger Danger

Ok. So, we've talked to M about strangers a bit, telling her to be safe and what not. A couple of times she brings it up when we say no she can't do something and she says "because there are stangers?" or some such. We haven't talked about it recently, but apparently the message stuck: We were at Wal-Mart, had just finised checking out and J went to use the restroom and M wanted to get a drink from the water fountain -I was still a few steps behind, so M said "Mom will you come a little bit closer?" and I said yes, and she continued "because you wouldn't want a stranger to grab me." I smiled and said "No I wouldn't like that." And she said "You would say 'oh no! someone has taken my child!" At which point I couldn't help but laugh and tell her how much I loved her.

back to school

We had a great trip up to Idaho for a family reunion (J's side of the family) after a short camping trip with some of my family in Iowa (not family from Iowa, just where we met up). We've been pretty busy and summer has disappeared. It didn't help that I had summer classes,and only 3 weeks off. We got to do some rough scouting in Colorado, to see where we might likely live when we finally move. Quite a few good stories, but I split them up. When we were in Colorado Springs we decided to go to Seven Falls - where they told us the Mountain elevator is broken, so they will take $1 off our admissions. We agreed, not minding 185 steps....wait, what did J just agree to? So we went to climb said stairs, which were small, and steep and seemed to go on forever; about half way up - the first set of stairs - M gets tired of climbing (we saw this coming,and I didn't blame her, I was tired too!) so I take E from J and J picks up M (he's stronger after all). We push ourselves th...

Go Figure

So, my kids go to educare ( a daycare center by my school, that has discounted student rates - otherwise I in no fashion could imagine paying for). Not only do I get student rates, but I also qualify for a grant that covers most of the costs. However - there is always, at some point, going to be a however. First, I couldn't keep their spots for my fall semester, unless I had them enrolled for the summer, which I wouldn't qualify for the grant unless I was taking full time classes...so I enrolled for summer classes (which I did not want to do) and kept them in. Then I found out that the summer rate covered by the grant would be less, meaning I would have to pay more - almost making it so I couldn't afford it, but we cut corners in our budget to make it work. Now, today, M's teacher told us that they are increasing the regular rate, and decreasing the student discount because the old rate isn't covering costs. Now I really and truly can not afford it. The daily r...